Confirmation (Youth, 10th grade and up)
Fee is $125 per youth
The Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated in 10th grade in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. Preparation is divided between requirements and suggestions, the goal being the youth’s continued transformation within the Christian community. Please contact Stewart Voegtlin for more information:
firstname.lastname@example.org Register here
Confirmation is at once an ending and beginning; it completes one’s initiation into the Catholic community that began at Baptism, and it signals the beginning of one’s life as an adult Catholic who is fully responsible to the Gospel and accountable to the Catholic community.
Confirmation is profoundly relational. This is a time to reflect on God’s activity in our lives—to focus on the ways we’re being moved, and to what or whom we’re being moved toward. This is a time of discovery and consideration, to attend to God’s presence and consider God’s desire to be in loving relationship with us.
This relationship has no limits; it draws us into relationship with God and with others, as we choose to live out the Gospel message. In response, we invite those being confirmed to imagine what shape their adult lives in the Church might take, and to envision active and creative roles within—and beyond—the parish. The role those being confirmed assume would ultimately entail sharing their gifts and talents in ways that sustain and inspire others, particularly the most vulnerable.
Confirmation preparation consists of the following suggestions:
- Regular attendance at STM Youth meetings and participation in STM Youth related activities, whether they be fundraising opportunities or service projects.
- Reading Richard Rohr’s book, Why Be Catholic?
- Brief, relevant prompts for discussion and prayer will be sent via email each week. We suggest parents and the confirmand consider them in ways that encourage encounter with Jesus.
- Confirmand must be a registered parishioner of St. Thomas More, or if registered in another parish, we must have a letter of permission from your pastor in order for your child to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at STM.
- Regular attendance at Sunday Mass.
- Parent and youth attendance at Confirmation “retreat,” and Confirmation rehearsal.
- Selection of a Confirmation sponsor and completion of Sponsor Interview. (Sponsor must be a Confirmed Catholic 16 years old or older. Sponsor must be active in his/her faith life; sponsor cannot be the candidate’s mother or father.)
- Selection of a Confirmation (Saint) name and completion of Saint Reflection.
- Completion of one service project (can be school-related, but STM Youth related is preferred).
Due at registration:
- Completed Confirmation Information Form
- Completed Saint Reflection
- Copy of Baptismal Certificate if baptized outside of STM
Sponsor Verification form from sponsor’s parish if sponsor is not an STM parishioner