There is a MANDATORY candidate & parent meeting in Mulhern Hall Tuesday Sept 26th at 7pm.
The two retreats are MANDATORY for Confirmation/ no exceptions.
CHANGES TO CONFIRMATION PREPARATION for Current 8th & 9th graders
The Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated in 10th grade in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. The Archdiocese requires two years of faith formation prior to receiving the sacrament. For teens in a Catholic high school, this formation occurs as part of their academic curriculum. For teens in a non-Catholic high school, the faith formation requirement is met by attending our Lifeteen program in 9th & 10th grades.
Currently, we celebrate Confirmation in the Spring of 10th grade, which allows us to use 10th grade as a formation year. We will be switching to celebrate Confirmation in the FALL of 10th grade, starting in 2018. That means that this year’s current 8th grade class will have their two year faith formation requirement starting THIS YEAR, in 8th grade. The two years of formation will now be 8th & 9th grades, so for teens in a non-Catholic school, the formation requirement will be met by attending Edge in 8th grade and Lifeteen in 9th grade.
- If you are a current 9th grader in a non-Catholic high school, you will need to participate in Lifeteen this year and next year, and you will celebrate Confirmation in the Spring of 2018.
- If you are a current 8th grader in a non-Catholic school, you will need to participate in Edge this year and Lifeteen next year, and you will celebrate Confirmation in the Fall of 2018.
- If you are in Catholic school, you only need to participate in the Confirmation preparation classes and retreat in 10th grade (although we encourage you to participate in Edge and Lifeteen anyway).
To be considered active in either Edge or Lifeteen, you must attend at least 2 activities each month. There will be an assortment of activities for you to choose from, such as:
- Edge or Lifeteen meetings on Sunday evenings
- Bible Study or book study (on an evening during the week)
- Service projects
- Catholic Fest
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com
Requirements for Confirmation
- Must be a registered parishioner of St. Thomas More, or if registered in another parish, we must have a letter of permission from your pastor in order for you to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at STM.
- Completion of two years of faith formation in a parish Religious Education Program or at a Catholic High School.
- Attendance at all Confirmation preparation classes, the Confirmation retreat, and Confirmation rehearsal.
- Regular attendance at Sunday mass.
- Selection of a Confirmation sponsor and completion of Sponsor Interview.
- Sponsor must be a Confirmed Catholic 16 yrs. old or older
- Sponsor must be active in his/her faith life
- Sponsor cannot be the candidate’s mother or father
- Selection of a Confirmation (Saint) name and completion of Saint Reflection.
- Completion of two service projects outside of any service done for school. STM Confirmation Service Project.
- Attend required retreat on Sunday, January 15th 2-7pm at Ignatius House
Confirmation Registration Checklist
Confirmation Information Packet 2016-2017
- Completed Confirmation Information Form
- Completed Annual Medical Release
- Completed Permission Slip
- Completed Sponsor Interview
- Completed Saint Reflection
- Copy of Baptismal Certificate if baptized outside of STM
- Sponsor Verification form from sponsor’s parish if sponsor is NOT an STM parishioner