What is Confirmation?
The Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated in 10th grade in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. Preparation at St. Thomas More is divided between requirements and suggestions. Our goal is the youth’s continued transformation within the Christian community.
Confirmation completes one’s initiation into the Catholic community that began at Baptism, and it signals the beginning of one’s life as an adult Catholic who is fully responsible to the Gospel and accountable to the Catholic community.
Confirmation is profoundly relational. This is a time to reflect on God’s activity in our lives—to focus on the ways we’re being moved, and to what or whom we’re being moved toward. This is a time of discovery and consideration, to attend to God’s presence and consider God’s desire to be in loving relationship with us.
This relationship has no limits; it moves us toward Jesus and others, as we choose to live out the Gospel message. Jesus asks us to follow him. He invites us to imitate him. To help us on our way, he gives us the greatest commandment: Love God with all your passion, prayer, intelligence, and energy, and love others as well as you love yourself (Mk 12: 28-31; Lk 10: 25-28).
In response, we invite those being confirmed to imagine what shape their adult lives in the Church might take, and to envision active and creative roles within—and beyond—the parish. The role those being confirmed assume would ultimately entail sharing their gifts and talents in ways that sustain and inspire others, particularly the most vulnerable.
What are Confirmation requirements?
– The confirmand must be a registered parishioner of St. Thomas More, or if registered in another parish, we must have a letter of permission from your pastor in order for your child to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation at STM.
– Selection of a Confirmation Sponsor and completion of Sponsor Interview (see additional information on Confirmation sponsor below).
– Selection of a Confirmation Saint name and completion of Saint Reflection.
– Attendance at Ignatius House Half-day retreat, Sunday, December 5 from 1 PM to 4 PM.
Who can serve as a Sponsor?
The sponsor must be a confirmed Catholic, 16 years or older. The sponsor should be someone active in her/his faith life. Sponsor can be an
older sibling or relative. Canon Law forbids the confirmand from choosing their mother or father as a Sponsor.
What is expected of a Sponsor?
A Sponsor’s duties are broad: provide prayerful support and guidance to the confirmand, and take care that the confirmand fulfills his/her obligations inherent in the sacrament. In plain English, this means to “accompany” the confirmand. And this should take whatever shape the confirmand is comfortable with. The Sponsor is not required to attend the Confirmation Mass.
Does STM have additional formational suggestions?
The following are suggestions, NOT requirements:
– Participation in two, or more, small group opportunities*
– Regular attendance at IGNITE (formerly STM Youth) meetings and participation in IGNITE related activities, whether they be fundraising opportunities or service projects.
– Discussing and praying over one of the lectionary texts each week as a family.
– Reading Richard Rohr’s book, Why Be Catholic? as a family.
*Small group formational meetings will be held on Sunday mornings, August through October, from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM. We’ll focus on a different aspect of Jesus’ Greatest Commandment each month, considering how we’re invited to live a sacramental life, that is, as Richard Rohr suggests, “rooted in contemplation and expressed in compassion, that makes amends for its mistakes and is dedicated to beloved community for all.”
These small groups are not required. They are designed for confirmands who either have questions about the Church and its sacraments, and what it means to be a follower of Jesus, or are interested in intimate, peer-based formation.
Small groups will be held virtually (Zoom). They are by reservation only. Reservations will be extended through Sign Up Genius.
What are pertinent dates/due dates?
Due at registration: Copy of Baptismal Certificate (if baptized outside of STM). Due thereafter: Completed Saint Reflection. Sponsor Verification form from sponsor’s parish if sponsor is not an STM parishioner.