Prayer and Spirituality
Ignatian prayer and spirituality informs all that we do at St. Thomas More. This spiritual tradition draws from the life and ministry of St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits). We discover God in all things, are drawn into personal relationship with Jesus, and are freed for active service of our neighbor. While we encourage all forms of prayer, we have a particular commitment to the teaching, promotion, and practice of Ignatian prayer.
Our first priority is to facilitate an encounter and relationship with Jesus that we live out both individually and as a parish community. We believe that our prayer should lead us to action in the world, especially in the communities we find ourselves within.
St. Thomas More, in collaboration with Ignatius House Jesuit Retreat Center, offers annual programming, series, and retreats drawn from the Ignatian and Jesuit tradition. Below are some resources to get you started on your journey with Ignatian spirituality.
The Full Spiritual Exercises of St Ignatius
St. Ignatius of Loyola
A brief biography of St. Ignatius Loyola, who, with several companions, founded the Society of Jesus.
The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius reflect his personal experience of his conversion, and they are the foundation of Ignatian spirituality. Read a brief description of The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius and how they work.
Daily Ignatian Prayer
The prayer form that is most central to the life of one practicing Ignatian prayer is the daily Examen prayer. St. Ignatius used to tell his Jesuit brothers that if they were able to do only one, brief prayer in the course of a busy day, they should pray the Examen prayer.
Online Prayer Resources
· Sacred Space – Guided contemplative prayer with the daily scriptures
· Jesuit Prayer – Reflection on the daily readings
· Pray-As-You-Go – A podcast of daily guided prayer using one of the daily readings
· 3-Minute Retreat – An online “retreat” for a moment in your day
· Reimagining the Ignatian Examen – A book and app with variations of the Examen prayer
· IgnatianSpirituality.com – A blog and other resources on Ignatian spirituality from Loyola Press
· GodInAllThings.com – Reflections, audio meditations, and other Ignatian resources
· Jesuits.org – Spirituality resources from the Society of Jesus in the USA